Saturday, July 14, 2012

I'm Married!

The reason I haven't posted in over a month is because I went off and got married. I thought I'd share some of the things I've pondered and learned in the meantime.

- FAMILY is EVERYTHING.

- On one hand, being legally and religiously bound to each other and spending all of our time together growing even closer than before feels perfectly natural. On the other hand, introducing each other as "husband" and "wife" sure takes some getting used to!

- Z and I have talked about how being married has changed our relationship. There's the added security that even if one of us screws up and is a jerk sometimes, we'll never leave each other. We're able to love each other in new, fulfilling ways that bring new opportunities for problem-solving together and enjoying one-ness together. We're even more of a team than we were before.

- Being with my immediate family before the wedding was also interesting. I love them to death, and that's never, ever going to change, but my relationship with them is evolving. My family members felt that too, and dealt with it in a variety of ways. My youngest sister hung out with Z and I most of the time, which I'm super grateful for; I think it was really good for both of them to deal with the adjustment and to become more integrated into the family. My brothers don't talk much about feelings, but they seemed pretty chill. My other sisters talked to each other about it, and my parents requested more hugs than I can ever remember them initiating. Z and I spent time with his parents much more frequently, so I think they got a head start on adjusting to a new family member.

- There's been a lot of love associated with the wedding festivities. Z and I feel so grateful to all of our family and friends who came to the ceremony and/or the reception/open house. We're humbled by the outpouring of love and generosity with the cards and gifts from people who couldn't attend but who still wanted to remind us of their love. I feel touched by the effort that went into the planning and execution of the reception, in helping everything look beautiful, run smoothly, and keep people well-fed. I can't wait to get back to our apartment, put our home together from all the gifts we've received, put up some family photos, and eat some of the leftover reception treats.

So, being married is great. I love how much more Z and I can share our lives now, and I'm excited for the increase in our creative potential, for working together to help people and build the lives we want more than we were able to singly. Let the married adventures begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment