Friday, September 10, 2010

Fruit! :D

This week I made a delicious discovery... Fruit makes (almost) everything wonderful! (I wasn't about to try raspberries on the hot dog I had for lunch...)

I wasn't big on fruit before coming to college - I liked apples, grapes and celery (is celery even a fruit?) and an occasional banana, but not much else. Then, I met the girls who are my current roommates, who set out to "culinarily educate" me with the foods they were accustomed to that I had never gotten around to trying. The fact that I was in college helped, because I became bolder (and in some cases, braver) about trying new things.

For example: pre-college, my cheese experience was mostly limited to cheddar, parmesan and mozzarella. Those were good, but there's so much more! I tried muenster and brie and pepper jack and gouda once or twice. It makes life more diverse, wide and flavorful. Especially when you and your roommates come up with all sorts of inside jokes and symbologies involving various cheese products.

Back to fruit though. This week, I made a fruit salad for the first time; all by myself! It was amazing. I bought kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, and red grapes, then washed, peeled, cut and mixed it together until the colors looked good. It was sweet, tangy and delicious. It was simply good. I bought some more raspberries last night, and had them on leftover french toast for breakfast this morning, sprinkled with granulated sugar. That was also pure deliciousness. The success this week encourages me to go out, be bolder, and experiment with more fruit cocktails, broadening my horizons and opportunity for enjoyment. Plus, it's probably a little healthier for me than late-night candy binges ;) Now I need to figure out what to do with my vegetables...

No comments:

Post a Comment