Monday, May 30, 2011

Anxious-Nervous or Anxious-Excited?

I can't find the direct quote, unfortunately, but the post title refers to a question asked in the 1998 Parent Trap movie.

I'm leaving for Austria in less than 3 weeks. AHHHH!!! I'm not sure what to think, feel, or expect. I've wanted my whole life to travel to Europe, and I'm finally getting the chance. I'm going with people I don't know, to a place where I don't speak the language, living with a native host family, taking classes at a foreign university, traveling around a large city and using currency I'm unfamiliar with... It's tempting to be scared!

What's it called when you're thinking about your thought process - metacognition? It's a tricky process to narrate. I thought about the things that are intimidating and scary about this trip, and I thought about what I do know. Yes, there are things that could and probably will be hard, but the things that I am sure of make up for the uncertainties. No matter whether my fears are fulfilled or not, I know that Heavenly Father loves me, and that He is always in control; He won't give me any hardship that I can't endure without His help. As I remembered that, it was miraculous how quickly my fears were soothed. The unknowns are still unknown and yet to be experienced, but when I choose to trust God and have faith, the fear goes away. Faith and fear cannot coexist in the same mind. Here's a great scripture:
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7 
And:
(33) Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also receive good for your reward. (34) Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. (35) Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you. (36) Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not. (37) Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:33-37 
Beautiful and true. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. "Anxious-nervous, like he's dreading it; or anxious-excited like he's looking forward to it?"

    ReplyDelete