Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Song I Like

This song was free on iTunes last week, and I really like it. It's called "Happily Ever After" by He is We. Here's some of the lyrics:
Let me riddle you a ditty, it's just an itty bitty, little thing on my mind.

About a boy and a girl, trying to take on the world one kiss at a time.
Now the funny thing about, ain't a story without it, but the story is mine.
And I wish you could say, that it ended just fine.

We all want to know, how it ends.

Oh, happily ever after, wouldn't you know, wouldn't you know.
Oh, skip to the ending, who'd like to know, I'd like to know.
Author of the moment, can you tell me, do I end up, do I end up happy?
(Here's a link to a Youtube video with the full music and lyrics) 
 It's easy to slip into this feeling sometimes. We all want to fast-forward our life sometimes past the hard or boring things and see "how it ends." It's not a sinful feeling, but my experience tells me that it's a little immature. Yes, it's nice to know how things work out, but the ending is only appreciated after the preceding journey. Skipping to the ending (and ignoring or trivializing the ups and downs that get me there) would take away from its sweetness, beauty and value.

So yes, I definitely get impatient in the present moment, but who is the "author of the moment" in these lyrics? It's me. "Do I end up happy?" Well, that's up to me to decide :) I'm going to end up happy if I choose to take each moment for what it's worth - taking lessons and tools from my experiences - and choose to be optimistic, by looking forward to tomorrow and enjoying today. Happily ever after will come if I choose to be happy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment