Monday, April 4, 2011

Healing and Learning

While my sprained ankle is in the process of healing, I've noticed some interesting comparisons between physical and spiritual healing and learning. One of the biggest lessons I'm learning is patience! I want to be fully better right now, but if I jump ahead of myself, it'll just create problems later. We need to learn "line upon line, precept upon precept", and as we continue, our abilities will be increased. In this scripture from the Book of Mormon we read:
 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth will I give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have. (2 Nephi 28:30
I have to do things in the right order. Right now, I need to be careful with dances like viennese waltz, quickstep and triple swing even if they're really fun. At the same time, I have to push myself to be patient and cheerfully endure the simple rehab exercises like balancing on my bad leg and bouncing on bosu balls (like a big, squishy button on the floor that challenges balance). The exercises aren't too bad, but I need to do them before I can do bigger things. Doing things in the right order and being patient over time are applicable to gospel study and physical healing after an injury.

Even when I'm not injured, I still need to apply these principles in my general learning process. I can look at how I learn a new dance or routine as an example and draw some more principles. Running through the dance once will give me the basic idea of it, but to really learn, I need to practice, to look at it from different ways, and to repeat the motions until it sinks into muscle memory. This process should apply to anything I want to learn well. With the semi-annual LDS General Conference this past weekend, I learned so much as I listened to and took notes on the talks prepared by the speakers. But reading a talk once won't teach me as much as if I go through the material over and over, do some research on my own, and go through it until it sinks into my life and becomes a part of who I am! If the experiences I have don't change me, then I have really learned nothing from them. So to enact change, it will be a process over time (understanding that I'll need patience) as I start with the basics and work up, studying the material with faith, an open heart, and a real desire to learn and improve. 

Being stagnant is depressing. We are here in life to learn, to change, to improve, and to become the best we can be. When we put our faith in Jesus Christ, He will take our best and make it "good enough" to accomplish what we need to and want to. That's how we can become perfect in Christ; it is impossible to become perfect on our own. By working hard and relying on the grace given by Jesus Christ, we can be fulfilled and happy in whatever circumstance we find ourselves in. Christ makes everything right in the end, and He delivers, comforts, strengthens, and is with us every step of the way so that we can feel alright now.

No comments:

Post a Comment